WellChild launches #NOTANURSE_BUT campaign
One of the Medicines for Children project partners, the children’s charity WellChild, have launched a new social media campaign to highlight the challenging medical and nursing care carried out by the families of children with complex health needs.
The #NOTANURSE_BUT campaign is calling for greater recognition and support for these families who are providing high levels of care in the home for their children.
WellChild’s Director of Programmes, Linda Partridge, spoke on the importance of the campaign:
“These families are not adequately recognised for their professional and personal expertise and the immense practical, emotional and financial strain placed on them remains unseen. Their voice is rarely given appropriate weight in the decision-making process and this can lead to children not receiving the support they desperately need.”
The #NOTANURSE_BUT campaign aims to:
1. Raise awareness of caring for a child with complex health needs at home.
2. Highlight the gaps in support currently available.
3. Gather evidence for decision makers to create change.
#NOTANURSE_BUT uses a range of communication tools to enable parents, carers, siblings or wider family members to tell their story in a way that best suits their needs. Families can sign up to receive campaign updates and share their experiences through words, photos or videos to describe what would make a difference in their lives.
You can get involved and support the campaign by:
– Promoting the campaign and sharing the stories through your networks
– Helping WellChild to gather more stories from families going through similar experiences